Sunday, August 10, 2008

First Idea Ignited!

Just on the bus the other day was going through all the possible designs for my Gen X businessman... I want to come up with something that integrates technology that's on the horizon with a touch of design to something that has been neglected in development over the past few decades.


Flexible OLED displays in the future will become a part of our everyday lives (literally) with nanotechnological attachments to textiles... or even contact lens that will substitute the need for screen displays!

The Din-ink is a rather interesting combination of cutlery with stationery - I mean although it's appearance is rather un-designer-ly, but I am sure a work-o-holic like my clientele would be sitting in front of his PC with pens and notepads while trying to fulfill his biological needs.


***************

Then I thought of business cards - one of the most essential inter-industrial tool that symbolizes the company's brand equity to its clients and associates. I realized that nowadays white-collars still carry hard-copy (i.e. paper) BC's - with such a tech-savvy world of today - I believe there exists some innovative thinking possibilities - more than just electronic Outlook attachment at the end of every email; BC's should be efficient in portability, effective in delivery, and flexible in multi-functionality.

Hence I have researched on some existing electronic BC ideas:

This concept by Hideaki Matsui is an Information Ring that will exchange electronic business data when in close proximity – such as during a handshake – and stored within; the downfall is that it prerequires the other person to also be wearing an Information Ring.
Another concept I found at NewLaunch.com still has the BC in its primitive form, with a memory card laminated at the back which can be snapped to a USB adopter, allowing data such as company info or portfolio to be stored inside and given to others - provided that there's a computer around. Another design flaw is the fact that the USB and the card are two separate objects which may end up in lost property.
Here is just an example I came across - it's actually an mp3 player with a USB embedded, in the size of an approximate BC. Its flat dimensions looks rather sleek and will fit nicely in the chest pocket of a business shirt.

This is a good starting point where I have ideas such as making the BC flexible, or can be attached to the belt buckles, or whatever.

p.s. I have forgotten where I got this image from so whoever designed it I apologize >< !!

No comments: